SIU investigating after OPP fatally shoot man, 29, in Collingwood, Ont.
The province's police watchdog is investigating after a man was shot and killed by Ontario Provincial Police in Collingwood on Wednesday.
In a news release, the Special Investigations Unit said the incident began when the OPP was called shortly after 12:30 p.m.to a residence on Third Street for a report of a man who had barricaded himself inside.
The SIU said the 29-year-old man left the residence with a firearm as officers were "setting up the perimeter" around the home.
"There was an interaction between officers and the man, with one officer deploying his conducted energy weapon. When this proved to be ineffective, the same officer discharged his firearm at the man," the SIU said.
"The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased."
A post-mortem is scheduled for Thursday morning in Toronto.
The SIU said it has assigned six investigators and two forensic investigators to the case.
The case involves one subject officer and there are 10 witness officers.
Earlier in a video statement on Twitter, OPP Sgt. Jason Folz says an intersection in the town was closed off while police investigated a "critical incident."
Folz says there was no threat to public safety as of 3:45 p.m.
The SIU investigates all incidents involving police in which someone is killed or injured, or officers are accused of sexual assault.https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.5718075https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ ... ollingwood