Cruising cops subject of complaint

News reports and online publications exclusively in reference to the Ontario Provincial Police.

Cruising cops subject of complaint

Postby Thomas » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:27 pm

MALLORYTOWN - A letter going to the Ontario Provincial Police will complain about local detachment officers’ alleged bad driving habits as they patrol Front of Yonge township.

The idea for the letter came from councillor Gail Williams, who said she has heard several stories from her constituents in the township about the driving habits of OPP officers.

“I heard from one of my ratepayers that they were coming into the village and they came around one of the sharper corners on County Road 5 and the police officer was driving in the middle of the road and put her off on the shoulder and never even slowed down,” said Williams.

“I have a big concern about that.”

Williams said she’s also heard of other similarly themed complaints from civilian drivers about the cavalier manner in which some cops wheel around the local roads.
She said the example she cited was not emergency-related.

“I understand if they were going on a call, or if there was an emergency, but this guy didn’t have his lights on or anything,” Williams said.

“I just want it looked into to make sure the staff sergeant is aware.”

All of council was supportive of sending a letter to the OPP regarding the manner in which some officers are driving in the township.

Township staff have already sent the letter to the OPP.

Williams said she is unsure whether she will get a response from the local detachment.

“I hope they respond to us, but whether they will or not – we’ll have to wait and see,” she said.

Leeds County OPP Staff Sergeant Cary Churchill said he has yet to see the letter, but will address the township’s concerns.

“We take these matters very seriously,” said Churchill.

Churchill said the OPP does not often receive complaints about the driving habits of its officers, but does react accordingly when concerns are raised.

“We certainly look into it right away and remind the officers working that when you’re driving around, you’re driving a big billboard and everybody’s going to be watching what you do and how you do it,” he said.

“We hold our officers to a fairly high standard when it comes to their conduct, both on and off duty.”

Churchill also added concerns are best addressed when they are voiced immediately after the incident occurs.

“When these letters do come in, it is a little more difficult to address any specific incidents (when) there is no time or date,” he said.

http://www.recorder.ca/2014/12/23/cruis ... -complaint
Thomas, Administrator

Thomas
Site Admin

Return to News